So...the newest Elder Scrolls Game is out. And as many of you mighthave guessed, I am pretty intrigued.
Lets make this easy, I am going to list of the good and the bad:
- Graphics look good and are still playable even on severely old machines
- The new leveling system works mightily fine, if abuse is self-prevented
- The World feels kind of alive, not yet Ultima VII style, but they are on their way
Now, about the bad:
- AI. Maker is it dumb, several times I was able to pick them off with my bow despite standing in plain view
- The Interface is atrocious for a pc-game. Simply a no-no Bethesda, big minus
- The procedurally generated quest-system is nice in theory, but kind of pointless
- The fighting continues to feel hamhanded with the way the game goes about it.
- Magic, used correctly, is way overpowered.
- Leveling-scale system. Not as bad as Oblivion, but still, I do kind of hate it. I really don´t want to find daedric armour in every other bandit cave, you know.
- Crafting system flawed. Many of the crafting choices are too easily obtainable and make the loot acquirable pretty much pointless. Basically it goes like this: Why go questing, when my craft armor is way better?
- Once again, merchants are pretty much piss-poor. If you are able to have a house in Solitude (25k gold btw.), then why is your daily gold set at 500 or 750 gold. The player can´t even sell basic loot at that level.
Now, you might think that I am bascially thrashing on this game, but you should already be aware of the fact, that I am very much entranced by it. Basically, even with its flaws, it will keep on being awesome. I know it isn´t GOTY, as this role is clearly cut out for The Witcher 2, but I´ll be damned, if SKYRIM isn´t at least second best.
Oh, and names are untranslatable. I mean, come on guys, the german translation is hilarously bad.